Nav Bar

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Working with Ash and the Benefits of Having Personal Projects


I mentioned a few posts ago that while I've been on the East Coast, I've also been working with a few models on some personal projects and to build my image database for any of my design work.  In return, the models end up with a few images for their portfolio and their facebook pages.  When I shoot commercial projects where I need a model, I always use those who have worked with me in the past - the rapport alone makes it worth it.  



The personal projects allow me the freedom to make mistakes, play with new lights and lighting strategies, try unconventional lenses, and break the composition "rules."  On the processing end, I get to play a bit in the digital darkroom.  Essentially I get to shoot and process consequence free (not sure why I felt the need to link the Great Big Sea video but somehow it feels appropriate on many levels).  Today I'm showing you a few from my shoot with Ash.

Ash was a blast in front of the camera.  I always like shooting with someone who has a sense of humour and doesn't take themselves too seriously and this is Ash to a tee.  She has her head on her shoulders and over the course of two shoots was absolutely wonderful to work with.  In an instant she could go from laughing and joking to pulling off a look like the you see in these photos.  I think we managed to capture some unique head shots that all tell a different story or convey a different image.


I would be remiss not to thank David Connell for letting me use his studio in Saint John.  Conzie joined us for the first half of the shoot and it was fun to throw around some ideas and see how he worked with Ash.  He had also worked with Ash in the past and that helped to all but eliminate the tension you sometimes feel when you're working with a new model.  Thanks Conzie...

I know I've been a bit cryptic about the nature of the personal projects but until I'm ready to share (or really if I'm ever ready to share) you'll only get references to them on here.  Like a songwriter who is in the concept phase with a few lines and half a chorus, my two artistic endeavors are still in their skeletal form...

No comments: