Nav Bar

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Softball and Lemons...

As the softball girls that I photograph get older, their game times also get later.  Games that start at 830pm give me about 45 minutes of effective light before the big ball park lights flick on.  The challenge of minimal ambient light, dark backgrounds, fast movement and the harsh overhead flood lights really keep you on your toes.

My philosophy in difficult lighting and weather has always been the same...To borrow an apt cliché, when life serves up lemons, make lemonade.  of course you have to understand your camera to squeeze the most out of those lemons but I really like the use of light here and incorporating the big floodlights into the final product.


Without delving into a world of camera geekdom, the equipment I'm using allows me to push the edge of technology and come up with some pretty creative results.  before the older teams have shied away from team photos with me but this year as the girls I've worked with for at least three years age and their parents have become accustomed to the type of photography I provide, the teams have stuck with me.  As a result, the girls know me and the big camera has been apart of their ball experience for so long that they are instantly themselves.  That I spent my childhood around a team environment allows me to interact and meld into that group setting where teasing equates to admiration and respect.  The results we get are as much a part of their comfort and ease as anything else!

No comments: