Nav Bar

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Eye on the Louvre


Every once in a while I take you on a trip through my eyes.  Today I'm taking you to the Louvre.  After visiting Paris a number of times but never making it to this artistic heaven, I finally entered the hallowed grounds a couple of years ago.  Originally a fortress built in the 12th Century, the building housed the French Monarchy until Louis XIV moved permanently to Versailles.  During the French Revolution, the Assemble Generale decreed that the palace be turned into a Museum to display the artistic treasures of the Republic.  It has largely remained a museum since and its collections continue to grow.  It is virtually impossible to see all of the Louvre in one day and really it is censory overload to even attempt it given there are 8 section - Egyptian Antiquities; Near Eastern Antiquities; Greek, Etruscan, and Roman Antiquities; Islamic Art; Sculpture; Decorative Arts; Paintings; Prints and Drawings.






It is exceptionally difficult to do photographic justice to the masterpieces housed at the Louvre and often I found myself just taking in the scenery without even taking the lens cap off.  the sheer size and profound effect would be lost in any photographic attempt I would show here. That said, I made sure to visit the famed Mona Lisa





 and chart through the living pieces of Napoleon III.  I also wanted to take home with me how I saw the outside of this impressive building. 








I'm looking forward to my next visit and taking on a new wing of artistic eye candy.



No comments: