Nav Bar

Monday, June 7, 2010

Jay and Cindy




Yesterday I was in Niagara to capture a very special wedding. Cindy and Jay have been together for 16 years and just last year they got engaged. The two have long eschewed the big splash and the large gatherings. Their wedding was no different. They decided to jet off to Niagara. They had a second couple join them and act as a witness and asked if I'd make the trek from Waterloo to document their day. Aside from a co-worker of Cindy who had to prepare the bank draft for their ceremony, only those in Niagara knew the purpose of their journey. I've done more than a few weddings now and they all have their own charm, but this wedding was special. It was perfect, it suited their personalities and the smiles that adorned their faces from the moment I met them Saturday night until the final glass of Champaign Sunday was so charming.

This story has a personal connection. From here on I'm going to add a bit more detail and allow those who read to get to know me a little more through my posts...



I've known Cindy for more than 18 years. Her younger brother and I were the best of friends when they lived up the hill from my family in Rothesay, New Brunswick. A few years later, Jason started coming around. We were a lot younger but Jason and Cindy always treated us like we were essentially their age. As we all aged, geography separated us. One day in the fall of third year in a bar in St. Andrews, NB I ran into Mike, whose band was playing there (tiny little St. Andrews of all the places...). Mike and I got back in touch that year as best as email would allow. Two years later I left for Korea and began mass emailing everyone about the adventure. Mike forwarded the email on to Jason, who by now had become quite a web developer and he suggested I start blogging. before blogger and wordpress and the myriad of other free options, Jason created a lovely blog that allowed me keep an online journal of the adventure. Since then Jay and I have worked on a number of other web projects for my clients and share both of us share a passion for photography. 18 years later, the relationship is as strong as it ever has been and it was an honour to be part of their wedding.


The couple is now in Toronto for a few days and then off to the beautiful West Coast of Canada. I look forward to seeing them when I'm in Halifax next month.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Matt...It was truly a pleasure to have you around for the "big day". Thanks for your great work and wonderful recap/historical writeup.