Nav Bar

Monday, June 14, 2010

Catch 22 - When Art and Sports Photography Collide

Tonight was the first night of shooting softball for me this season.  For some girls with the Waterloo Minor Girls Softball Association, this is the fourth year I will be their team photographer.  It's been fun watching these young girls grow and become really solid ball players...

I love to shoot that which is a bit more abstract.  Not surprisingly, most people don't want an abstract photo of their daughter playing ball and I can't blame them.  They want a great action photo of their child hammering a pitch to the outfield or sliding into home.  My solution to this problem is to try to do both.  Because the abstract can help accentuate the literal.

The benefit of having worked with the WMGSA is they are willing, in fact encouraging of a more creative approach to sports photography.  They, too, are sick of the rapid-fire-point-and-click-school-photo-day photography that is all too common in this business.  I count myself as very fortunate to have clients who appreciate the creative art of photography and look forward to what this year brings.  Thanks!











1 comment:

Mike said...

And when are you planning your first shoot of the Kitchener Selects?