Nav Bar

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Colin & Brandey Smythe

Last Saturday, Brandy and Colin tied the knot on a windy and rainy day in and around Hamilton, Ontario.  The weather was particular fitting given it was wind that blew these two together while working on a windmill project in Kincardin, Ontario.  



I met Brandey in a 2005 graduate seminar on war and memory while we were both slogging away in the world of academia.   She was and remains a striking girl with a geeky side and a vocabulary that could intimidate.  after she entered the real world our time together was reduced to catch-up coffees when she was in town and a beer when we could find time.  When her and Colin were engaged she asked if I would photograph her wedding.



The first time I met Colin in any significant way was during the engagement session.  I'm by no means a short man but in his presence I felt knee high to a grasshopper.  There is no question when you first meet Colin he's an imposing fella and then I saw the protective and caring nature of his glance at Brandey and I knew she was in good hands.  That imposing nature soon gives way to a heart as big as he is and silly side that is equally charming.  The speeches at the wedding only solidified that opinion.  I'm exceptionally happy you two found each other.


The rough weather may have challenged other couples but Brandey and Colin and their wedding party took it stride, endured a few rainy locations and the results speak for themselves.  While perfect weather is nice, less than ideal conditions make for more unique images.  Thanks for letting me share in your day!  I look forward to watching your family grow.

2 comments:

historymum said...

I am so bummed I couldn't be there! Fantastic job Matt... Brandey you looked beautiful and the day looked amazingly joyful!
Michelle

The Matthews said...

We enjoyed your wedding so much and we are so happy to have been able to share in it. It was so beautiful. You guys are made for each other. The photos are breathtaking!
Eileen & Will Matthews