Nav Bar

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Value of Great Assistants: Nick Lachance and Megan Cherniak at Brandey and Colin's wedding

You're only as good as the people you surround yourself with.

Whether those people directly support you or play a role behind the scenes the same holds true.  Last Saturday at Brandey's wedding I had two fantastic assistants that added their eye and their talent to the day and cemented my philosophy on wedding photography and the way I will conduct business from here on in.


I strongly believe that a photographers role is to capture the day, not manufacture and turn it into their own vision with a series of repetitive and contrived poses. Both of my assistants Saturday have held the title of Photo Manager for Laurier's Student Newspaper The Cord.  This allows them to enter the wedding from the mindset of an event to be captured.  The number one item I preach to my assistants is "get the shot"

Of course there is a degree of posing that must take place but for this I always meet at least twice with the bride and groom to map out their vision of the day.  They hire me for my eye but my job is to use that eye to capture how they see their wedding day. 


The shot above is a prime example of how well my photojournalist assistants worked to enhance the images we were able to offer to Brandey and Colin. It is one of the best of the day and she was in position, saw the moment and got the shot.  I watched as Colin leaned down to help little Lilly with Brandey not far behind but I was too far away to capture the moment and I was in the midst of posing the bridal party.  A quick glance to my left and I noticed Megan move into position.  Stooping down low enough to frame the image just beautifully, Megan nailed the shot. These candid moments define a wedding.



Nick Lachance has been with me all summer and he was key all day taking photos, emptying the cards and backing up the images (no light task).  At the ceremony all three of us were shooting from a few different angles.  What I like most about the shot above was that with Nick manning the back of the church I was free to stay close to the front which allowed me to capture this precious moment below.



I don't need to tell any of my readers that weddings are an important day.  The moments happen quick and the more angles and eyes you have on those moments the better the final product. Megan and Nick, you were fantastic Saturday.

2 comments:

April said...

Very cute photos!

Unknown said...

Matt, the photos are excellent & I cannot thank you enjoy! The three of you did a fantastic job & I could not be happier with the outcome (and I still have more to see).

Thank you!!!