Nav Bar

Friday, September 23, 2011

Giving Back...with time, photos, and smiles

Last Friday, I had the absolute honour of working with the Self Help Alliance as part of Help Portraits annual campaign.  With three volunteers, Ian Spence, Stephanie Truong and Erin Schut from the Laurier Newspaper, The Cord (see their take on the story here), Nick Lachance and I arranged to set up shop at their Kitchener location.

The Self Help Alliance runs peer-support groups for individuals experiencing a mental health and/or addiction issue and runs one of the most innovative suicide intervention programs in the country.  Society’s perception of Mental health is one of the last remaining bastions of secrecy.  Studies suggest 1 in 5 Canadians will suffer from mental illness at some point in their lives. I have more than one friend who has experienced mental health issues to varying degrees. Maintaining the code of silence only further alienates those who identify.  The end result of ignoring the issue is simply not acceptable in a society that has come to terms with sex, drugs, drinking, cancer, etc… The data speaks for itself, in Canada, 12 individuals die by suicide every day.  In the Waterloo region, one of the most prosperous areas in the country, there were 52 reported suicides last year.


Given the unique and pro-active nature of the Self-HelpAlliance, they were the perfect group for what Help Portrait offers.  Help Portrait “is a global movement of photographers using their time, their gear and expertise to give back to those in need.”  Over the 6 hours we set the studio up, we had 15 different participants.  I am only showing a few who are willing to share their story.  From graduate students to comedians and Trekkies to families the day was filled with smiles.

Early next week I will deliver the CDs and the printed portraits and I’m excited.  In an age where most of our photos end up on computer hard drives, there is something so special about a printed photograph. The existence of Help Portrait provided that little nudge we all sometimes need to take a step back, appreciate how lucky we are, and evaluate how we can give back.
As a student at Laurier, I think I can speak for all the volunteers when I say, I don’t have the means to make significant financial contributions to the charities or NGOs I support but my time and skillset is certainly something I can offer. In a world that all too often inundates us with reasons to frown, the excitement that day generated and the earnest appreciation that came through on the faces of both the volunteers from The Cord and those in front of the lens reaffirmed my faith in Humanity. 

No comments: